Monday, January 18, 2010

Genesis 1-3

So I said I would start on the 14th, but it just didn’t happen. I’m sorry to anyone who might have been reading this.

I’m starting off in the very beginning. In Genesis 1 through 3, where Moses lays out how the earth was made and how the word worldly got its meaning. There is so much controversy tied into these chapters. They are beautifully written to make people wonder exactly how God did it all. The first chapter lays out creation in 7 days, well 6… and day 7 He rests. On the 6th day He created man. “ So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27. But in Chapter 2 Moses expands further on the creation of man and it was not until after Adam had named all the animals, which if you think about it could have taken thousands if not millions of years, that God took Adams rib and made women. It seems pretty obvious that the week, was an analogy. Could my God have made the earth in 7 days? I whole heartedly believe that he could do it in a millisecond if he wanted to. But how much beauty is gained by allowing the world to grow? How many analogies and metaphors do people find in nature? Analogies and metaphors that make things clear, or that help them understand their lives or God or other people better? How much gratification or humility does God provide through nature every day? It seems that even the people He chose to write His story cannot define God’s time. To me it is not a question of whether God created the world in 7 days or a billion years, partially because I know what I believe about this issue. But what is the important message here? God created a world, a beautiful world, that he gave to man. Man, meaning man-kind which includes males and females, messed up by betraying God. Was it actually fruit? I have no idea, I doubt it, but quite honestly I don’t trust anyone who claims to know this for sure. But the message here is that we screwed up and the world is a horrible place because of it. The only person who can help, is Jesus. He has helped so many in the passed and will in the end redeem the world His Father created.

Questions, that are less important then that message but I’m still curious about?

It was not until after the fall that men were told to rule over women, would Jesus coming back and redeeming those sins and forgiving those sins not take us back to a place where women can allow God to rule them directly instead of through their husbands or pastors? Why is this still used as an attack against women in ministry, when Christ’s redemption is made so clear in the new testement?

Was Adam right next Eve or not when she “took the apple”? And if men are inherently protectors and leaders why did he not protect Eve from satan’s deception?

I don’t think anyone is actually reading this, but in case you are, I am sorry again for taking longer then expected to post. Hopefully I will be posting at least 3 times a week from now on. Comment honestly and lovingly!

Love, Lis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lis, it's BPPPPPP.

I stumbled upon your blog. I have two things for you that I hope can encourage you.

As I was reading your "Pastor-not pastor" stuff, I was just smiling. Lis, I just want to say that I don't think God is near as caught up in the "Pastor-not Pastor" thing as we americans tend to get. I know as american Christians we like to focus on occupation, but God doesn't seem to have the same care. Crazy, I know. So my encouragement to you is, continue to seek out how Jesus's love can manifest itself from your life, and I think your occupation will take care of itself.

Think about Jesus, and the disciples. We don't really care about their occupation as much. Jesus a carpenter, Matthew a tax collecter, etc. But we remember them for dying for the cross, for people.

I'd also tell you to study up on stout women of the faith. Mother Teresa, Amy Carmicheal, Anne Hutchison. Study them. Learn from them. Look for what motivated them, what they drew on, and what their testimonies were. I think you'll gain lots of valuable insight by doing so.

My second point, as I was reading your post about loving all kids, not just kids of your flesh, I have to think that Mother Teresa had to have gone through a similar questioning part in her testimony. Before she was famous for caring for the orphan, she too must have dealt with why she had such a heart for kids that weren't "actually" hers. Thankfully, she developed that heart, allowed the Good Saviour to work in it, and she'll go down in history for being "different."

One last point: Lis, I think developing your heart for God in my opinion is much harder than developing your occupation. Never forget that. I think the question of whether or not you will care for orphan runs much deeper--and requires more sacrifice-- than whether or not you become a Pastor. Make sure it gets the time, concentration, prayer, and direction from the Lord that it needs.

You're awesome, keep it up White.

BP